hdavis11

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
So today at my local tractor supply store they had baby chicks (finally). I picked up 3 speckled Sussex and 3 mottled Java’s. I had never heard of these until today! The Sussex I have heard of and knew I wanted them. But the mottled Java’s I decided on after a quick Google of the breed while standing there waiting for someone to get the chicks. Can anyone tell me anything about the breed?

Attachments

• 82CB1EAE-7E51-4A60-A9B5-C4FB954604F0.jpeg
    82CB1EAE-7E51-4A60-A9B5-C4FB954604F0.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 15
When I personally raised Mottled Javas I felt that they had a weaker immune system compared to other breeds I've raised. They caught coccidiosis, I had one with failure to thrive and potentially Mareks and multiple seemingly healthy ones drop dead :( My line may have been inbred so I can't speak for the whole breed. I would definitely be pretty cautious about making sure the bedding is dry and clean just because they may be more susceptible to illness where most chicks would be fine. On a better note, mine had awesome temperaments! Very personable and gentle. Super sweet chickens who were quite intelligent! They're also quite an old breed that was the ancestor to Plymouth Rocks but sadly fell out of popularity. I wish you luck!! Don't feel intimidated just after raising them once, if I were to do it again I would be a bit more meticulous and keep an eye out for any signs of illness :) Keep in mind my experience doesn't sum up the breed, just wanted to throw it out there! :D

When I personally raised Mottled Javas I felt that they had a weaker immune system compared to other breeds I've raised. They caught coccidiosis, I had one with failure to thrive and potentially Mareks and multiple seemingly healthy ones drop dead :( My line may have been inbred so I can't speak for the whole breed. I would definitely be pretty cautious about making sure the bedding is dry and clean just because they may be more susceptible to illness where most chicks would be fine. On a better note, mine had awesome temperaments! Very personable and gentle. Super sweet chickens who were quite intelligent! They're also quite an old breed that was the ancestor to Plymouth Rocks but sadly fell out of popularity. I wish you luck!! Don't feel intimidated just after raising them once, if I were to do it again I would be a bit more meticulous and keep an eye out for any signs of illness :) Keep in mind my experience doesn't sum up the breed, just wanted to throw it out there! :D
Thank you so much for your insight! I’m super excited to have them. Hopefully I can keep them healthy. I try to clean the bedding twice a day for my little chicks. Along with a corid treatment as soon as I see signs.

Thank you so much for your insight! I’m super excited to have them. Hopefully I can keep them healthy. I try to clean the bedding twice a day for my little chicks. Along with a corid treatment as soon as I see signs.
They seriously have amazing personalities! I wish you the best luck :) They're special birds for sure

So today at my local tractor supply store they had baby chicks (finally). I picked up 3 speckled Sussex and 3 mottled Java’s. I had never heard of these until today! The Sussex I have heard of and knew I wanted them. But the mottled Java’s I decided on after a quick Google of the breed while standing there waiting for someone to get the chicks. Can anyone tell me anything about the breed?
I have been looking for this breed can you please direct me where to find them. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom