Mottled Java crowing or alarm call?

jaloola

Happy Joyous & Free
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
Oakland
My Mottled Java started sounding the alarm this morning. It was a loud forced cluck-cluck that she repeated over and over.
We live in a very urban area and the sun was already up so there's few predators around...I shoved the dog outside to check things out while I got my shoes on and I could see the girls were very agitated.

She kept up the call even though the dog was outside and didn't settle down until I checked all around the coop.
The call was really loud and I'm sure my neighbors all heard it.

Jo (MJ) is 6 or 7 months old and hasn't laid an egg yet. Here's a picture:
70238_java_fluffy_butt.jpg

How strange! She's probably not crowing, because she's definitely a hen. I've read about pullets singing the egg song before laying age, perhaps that's what she was doing? Maybe she saw a predator and was alarming the others of it's presence?

I agree, it's either an alarm call (generally a bit faster and more insistent than the egg song) or an egg song. Some pullets/hens sing the egg song before they lay, some after, some don't sing the egg song at all. It usually goes "buck-buck-buck-BAGAWK!" over and over. Are there any other chickens in your area that she could hear? Sometimes all it takes is one making that noise and it sets others in the area off.

It was fast and insistent for sure and had me up and at the window fast.
I'm going the optimistic route and hoping for an egg song.
There are no other chickens in the area that I know of.

Mystery solved!
My husband said that sound was the exact call she made when there was a cat too close to the coop.
Jo the hen is an excellent rooster.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom