1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mottled Java egg color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Happyfarmwife, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2008
    SW Oregon
    Can someone who has Mottled Javas tell me what color their eggs are? I have new pullets that are starting to lay. I have Buff Orpingtons, which I know thier egg color, then I have Mottled Javas and another breed I am thinking may be Marans that were put in my chick order to substitute for the M.J. I am starting to get a very dark egg with darker speckles on it. So I am wondering what color the Mottled Java egg is supposed to be. Thanks!

Deborah
    www.swinsonfamilylife.blogspot.com

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Javas lay brown eggs. If you have Marans, they are more than likely the ones laying the dark brown eggs.

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Dark eggs with dark speckling can also be Welsummer.

4. Happyfarmwife

Feb 6, 2008
    SW Oregon
    Thanks for the help. I guess I should post a photo of my mystery chicken and see what you all think it is. [​IMG] Are the Mottled Javas a light brown? dark brown? More like a barred rock maybe?

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    MJ chicks are black and white.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:The OP is asking about egg color, not chick color.

And the MJ eggs I've had are a light/cream brown. They are most likely not the dark eggs. Where did you order these from and are the Marans you are questioning Cuckoo Marans or what color ?

7. Happyfarmwife

Feb 6, 2008
    SW Oregon
    Yes, I was asking about egg color, not the chicks. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my second post.

I bought the chicks from Welp Hatchery. I was supposed to get 15 buff orpingtons and 10 mottled java straight runs. But I got 5 mottled java and 5 of something else. We butchered the 3 roosters of the mystery breed as they were too aggressive for our farm.

Let me see if I can manage to put a photo of the mystery hens on here.

8. Happyfarmwife

Feb 6, 2008
    SW Oregon
    Okay, I finally figured out how to post a photo. Here is a picture of the mystery chicken.

[​IMG]

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:The OP is asking about egg color, not chick color.

And the MJ eggs I've had are a light/cream brown. They are most likely not the dark eggs. Where did you order these from and are the Marans you are questioning Cuckoo Marans or what color ?

Let me go clean the egg off my face [​IMG]

10. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks kinda like a Birchin Marans pullets to me?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by