Mottled Orpington... So confused.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debosaurus, Apr 19, 2016.

1. debosaurus

debosaurus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

I am thinking Roo, but the saddle feathers are looking rounder than my other Orp Roos and the neck feathers are also more rounded than his (cuckoo Lav). The comb/wattles are really red.
    BUT I introduced three new hens to the flock and they are beating the mottled up quite badly, which I wouldn't think should happen if it is a he? Today it also squatted down when I went to pet it. 11/12 weeks old.
    Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At only 11 weeks, a comb and wattles that red mean male.

The bird is too young for lack of sex feathers to mean anything. they often don't develop until 13 weeks. Orpingtons are slower to mature than a lot of production breeds so you bird may be behind the curve there. As far as the hens' behavior, he's still a baby, not a mature male. Doesn't really matter to them what gender it is right now, it's a little punk and they have to put it in it's place. He'll establish dominance over them as he matures, but I wouldn't look for that until he's at least 6 months old.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

4. debosaurus

debosaurus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Great! Thank you! It was him squatting for me that threw me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by