Moult or something worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mikepatreidy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mikepatreidy

Mikepatreidy New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    So I've been a silent member of this community for a while but I knew eventually I'd have to ask you guys for a little bit of help. My roo, he's about one and a half years old and recently he's not been looking so good. He used to have a really nice set of tail and saddle feathers but now his tail feathers look cut and his saddle feathers gone? If you guys know what this is I'd love the hell![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi and welcome! This can be a few things. Do you think it's possible that another Bird is pecking the feathers? This Sometimes happens when they are bored. Or if the other Bird is eating the feathers it could be they need a increase of protein in the diet. If it's out of boredom you might be able to stop the behavior by giving them something to do. Like hang a cabbage in their area so they can stay busy pecking the cabbage. ANOTHER thing to check for would be mites and Lice. Check the hen house as well because certain mites only live in the house and feed on the birds at night. The northern mite stays on the bird and looks like a pepper flake. Check for those as well. These are a couple things that might be going on.i hope this is helpful and wish you the very best. Again I want To Welcome You To BYC! ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by