Moulting and no eggs

Pics

Craigboy53

Songster
Jan 19, 2020
Ailsa Craig, Ontario
Our three buff Orpingtons were a year old in August 2019, and we had been averaging two eggs a day. About the first week of September they started losing feathers, and by the second week of September, egg laying had stopped. We got one egg on Christmas Eve, which we though was a nice touch from the girls! Nothing since then. We are approaching four months with no eggs. Is this something that is breed specific? Does it have anything to do with them being a heritage breed?
The coop is clean, they have fresh water and Layena feed, grit and oyster shell. They get veggie scraps, and every couple days they get a cob of dried corn, which they like almost as much as the mealworm treats. The coop is well ventilated, and never gets below -2 C. as there is an infrared heater. They get 15 hours of light, natural supplemented by electric light on timer that comes on early.

Is this a natural behaviour cycle for Orpingtons? Four months without eggs is a long time. Would it be different with a different breed?
Thanks to all for indulging a newbie!
🤓

Most of mine have not started back either. Generally most here will resume laying after February and into March. A 4 month break isn't that long.

Is your ration a layer? Generally they shouldn't be fed a layer when they aren't actively laying. It can help to also switch to a higher protein feed during the molt and recovery period. Generally something with 18-20% protein.

I have 5 Barred Rocks the same age. 17 months.
3 of 5 are in a hard molt, one finished a hard molt a month ago, still waiting for her to resume laying. She hasn't laid in 3 months. The hen in a soft molt is giving me an egg every two days.
I only add light at 5 am, sunset is currently 4:49.
These are my second Flock.
My first Flock of five Golden Comets, a sex-links chicken laid through their first two winters. They were early spring chicks.
I still have two of five at 45 months old.
They lay great for two years then can have laying problems. I lost one, egg bound, and put down a second for the same thing. Both around two years old.
I had to put down a third at three years for the same reason.
Of the two remaining, one is in a hard molt, the other hasn't laid since June, retired.
Hybrids lay lots, but burn out early.
That said, I like eggs and may get sex-links again, or a High production breed like a White Leghorn or Rhode Island Red. GC
Edited; to add type of Leghorn.

Last edited:
My pullets are laying some eggs, and my hens have taken the winter off, in spite of some supplemental coop lighting.
Feeding layer is not good when they aren't actually in lay! Then, your protein levels are lower, especially for birds molting. How about feeding an all-flock feed with 18% to 20% protein, and less other stuff? It would be better, and maybe help that molt end sooner too.
Waiting for spring!
Also, having birds of different breeds and ages helps spread out the molt, and have eggs from somebody at all times.
Mary

They get 15 hours of light, natural supplemented by electric light on timer that comes on early.
When did you start the extra lighting?

Welcome to BYC! @Craigboy53
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579473615157.png

When did you start the extra lighting?

Welcome to BYC! @Craigboy53
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 2006529
Thanks for the tip! I will add that to the profile. I did mention in the new member introduction that we live in SW Ontario, (near London actually). As soon as natural light fell to 15 hours, I started supplementing, by having the light come on early in the morning, so they would get 15 hours total.
We have learned pretty much we know about chickens from reading BYC!

Our three buff Orpingtons were a year old in August 2019, and we had been averaging two eggs a day. About the first week of September they started losing feathers, and by the second week of September, egg laying had stopped. We got one egg on Christmas Eve, which we though was a nice touch from the girls! Nothing since then. We are approaching four months with no eggs. Is this something that is breed specific? Does it have anything to do with them being a heritage breed?
The coop is clean, they have fresh water and Layena feed, grit and oyster shell. They get veggie scraps, and every couple days they get a cob of dried corn, which they like almost as much as the mealworm treats. The coop is well ventilated, and never gets below -2 C. as there is an infrared heater. They get 15 hours of light, natural supplemented by electric light on timer that comes on early.

Is this a natural behaviour cycle for Orpingtons? Four months without eggs is a long time. Would it be different with a different breed?
Thanks to all for indulging a newbie!
🤓
I wou

I did mention in the new member introduction that we live in SW Ontario, (near London actually).
Good to have it under your avatar, then it's always right there, thanks!

As soon as natural light fell to 15 hours, I started supplementing, by having the light come on early in the morning, so they would get 15 hours total.
So way back in early June?
Your locations longest day is 15 hours 22 minutes.

I kept my lights up(~13 h) most the summer this year,
older birds still molted, pullets did not start to lay.
Bumped them up an hour in mid December,
neither laid until about 2 weeks after Solstice.
Supplemental lighting is not like flipping the switch(haha!) on the egg machine.
It's not just the duration of daylight but whether it is increasing or decreasing.

Back
Top Bottom