Moulting behaviour ??

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
My ducks are locked up in a run all morning and then let out to the pond come early afternoon for a swim, play etc. But for the last few days they won't come out of the run. I know they are in full moult now, will that make them not so eager to swim?
Are they less water resistant during moult.

This is my first experience with a duck moult so, need educating, haha. Or , are they just being wierd. haha.

Mine are somewhat less water resistant during a molt, sometimes, but that never prevents them coming out of their run to play & dabble in the pool.

I wonder if you might have had a predator visit or something similar that spooked them, and they're afraid to come out?

Or, perhaps you changed something in the environment, and they're not sure what to make of it? Mine are terrified of even the slightest change, such as a different type of straw for bedding or a tarp thrown over a pen next door. Any chance something like that is bugging them?

no predator, as my chickens have been free ranging, and they haven't been spooked.
I am wondering if perhaps it was due to the pond freezing last week. We've since had rain and some warm weather, so there is open water. No not sure if perhaps they aren't digging the ice cold water.

nothing new has been done to the surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom