Moulting for 4 months now! Lost blood feathers?!

Coupon Cook

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2012
I have a chicken who has been moulting for 4 months now. She's lost almost all of her feathers. She did have blood feathers coming in for a while, but she's lost those as well. There are 3 other chickens all the same age who have not moulted yet, and have full feathers. This one doesn't act weird, she is a bit clucky, but I think that's a personality thing. Her breasts are red and hard like a big scab. It looks painful. her whole under belly up to the wings and tail is completely bare. She's smaller than the other one of her breed. She has wing, neck, and head feathers only. What is the problem? Like I said she lost the blood feathers that were coming in.

You know I say she doesn't act weird, but the other day I let them out to forage. Three went out for the whole day. After an hour she went back to the roost and just sat in the shade. Before she's gone out and stayed with them.

I haven't noticed that she's plucking herself. And too little food would only be because she chose not to eat. Its harvest season so they've had access to plenty of table food scraps. Watermelon, cantelope, cucumbers, squash, plenty of garden goodies in addition to their regular feed. I did an internet search and the pictures that I can find look like her breasts. They are called breast blisters. but the only 2 diseases that I can find matching those symptoms are highly contagious and don't seem to apply to her or the rest of the flock.

so I'm still at a loss.

too much sugar/starch not enough protein, besides ones plucking starts it can become habit... and a free range bird the worse she feels the less she eats, the less she eats the worse she feels...

Google Images: feather plucking self mutilation

those are the areas you describe, there is NO good reason to lose blood feathers or pin feathers.

She would pluck and eat the feathers in the coop likely.

If she is feathered on the wings, back of the head , back of the neck but not much anywhere else I suggest she is doing it to herself.

http://drnelsonsveterinaryblog.com/2008/11/10/you-make-the-diagnosis--african-grey-parrot.aspx

Last edited:
Yes, her feathers are missing just like the bird in the picture. So what to do? Anything other than give her more protein? Come to think of it, I don't see any feathers in the coop or pen. so you are likely right about it being her. Is this a nervous/anxiety condition in the bird?

Thanks so much

according to common wisdom it stats as a deficiency in minerals or protein, then can become habit, first correct the deficiency then correct the habit (they do make cone collars for birds)... there are also hen aprons and saddles and hen blinders to keep them from plucking...

Thanks so much. I'll research the collars too. And I think I'm going to let them free range from early morning to late evening. They go back to the coop fairly easily. We've got good soil and tons of bugs. I can get crickets pretty cheaply too. I think those might be a good source of protein.

Don't put them in the coop, (the crickets) can eat lizard scales so might be able to eat chicken scales or feathers...

Why don't you put out some chicken feed in the coop or near the coop till she gets better, I wouldn't want the sunburn of running around naked either.

Last edited:
oh, They aren't exclusively free range. Up to this point they are in the pen (which is roomy) most of the week. I let them out once or twice for several hours when I can watch them. We're situated on 1 acre and a good bit of it has plenty of shade (oak trees and underbrush). plenty of oak leaves to scratch in for worms. Their food and water are in the pen and they have a large shaded spot to roost in.

I didn't know crickets could eat lizard scales... interesting. I won't buy those then.

Thanks you've been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom