Non-Emergency Feathering Issue

Trashpanda13

Hatching
Oct 4, 2023
Hello! I have 5 chickens that feather well, 1 chicken that has a sparse tale, and 1 chicken that has no head feathers and lost wing feathers on the tops.

Everyone went through a molt this fall and feathered just fine save for the two. The really bad one has had a bald head for three months. Everyone gets high protein feed, calcium supplement, a scratch block for the run, as well as veggies and roaming for bugs/grass. They were dewormed two months ago and I consider the birds pretty healthy.

Why would one bird have such patchy feathering when other birds feather out so beautifully? I can't figure it out and I feel bad for her. Any help is much appreciated

They may be getting their feathers plucked by the other birds. Are the two birds lower in the pecking order? How big is the coop/run space? Do you have a rooster? Have you checked for mice/lice?

They may be getting their feathers plucked by the other birds. Are the two birds lower in the pecking order? How big is the coop/run space? Do you have a rooster? Have you checked for mice/lice?
The two I mentioned are 2nd and 3rd to last in the pecking order. They've been with these same birds for over a year and never had a head feathering issue, but there is occasionally some aggression.

The main run is very large and their space has been expanded into a tractor run that keeps them occupied during the day. I do have one rooster that is kind of a dope but I haven't witnessed any aggressive behavior from him. He mates and moves on with his day, as far as I've seen.

I do regularly check for lice. Vents look pretty clean and all the chickens stay close together at night. I considered that it might be mites but I'm thrown off by the fact that all the other chickens are totally fine and gorgeous. Is it possible for mites to somehow be selective with birds?

Back
Top Bottom