Moulting in January??

Slamoureux

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
One of my girls has apparently decided that mid-January (at -30 degrees!) is a good time to molt. She doesn’t seem to be getting picked on, no scabs or bleeding anywhere (other than a touch of frostbite to her wattles and comb), but this is my first winter with chickens and I’m a little concerned with the cold snap we’re having in Manitoba. She’s still alert and active, and eats all the treats I bring her. The coop is insulated but unheated, they do have a Cozy Coop heating panel on one wall.

I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that this is normal (just really bad timing?), and my little lady will be ok once her feathers come back in!

Attachments

• D76B4AF2-5C79-47F0-8FEC-58C2387DB828.jpeg
    D76B4AF2-5C79-47F0-8FEC-58C2387DB828.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 8
  • FF4E0961-CC81-499B-9DEA-E3978F9C0543.jpeg
    FF4E0961-CC81-499B-9DEA-E3978F9C0543.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 2
One of my girls has apparently decided that mid-January (at -30 degrees!) is a good time to molt. She doesn’t seem to be getting picked on, no scabs or bleeding anywhere (other than a touch of frostbite to her wattles and comb), but this is my first winter with chickens and I’m a little concerned with the cold snap we’re having in Manitoba. She’s still alert and active, and eats all the treats I bring her. The coop is insulated but unheated, they do have a Cozy Coop heating panel on one wall.

I guess I’m just looking for reassurance that this is normal (just really bad timing?), and my little lady will be ok once her feathers come back in!
Yes, I have birds that molt in Jan. Most people say its because good layers molt later and take longer, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I do know that some of my good layers are still in the middle of a molt now, though.

Back
Top Bottom