1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moulting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emjay, Dec 4, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I asked this in another post, but, am kind of interested to hear what others have to say, so I'll start my own.

I have varying ages of birds and my oldest are just over a year old, my next group is in the 10month old range. I noticed today my one wyandotte pullet ( 10 months old) is missing feathers in her head and neck area. she looks silly. her neck is covered in feather barbs, so she's not bald. Is she moulting perhaps? she's the only one in the group with some feathers missing .
    and will they molt at this age?

2. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    My ten month old RIR sounds identical, it's molting. She is also grumpy and not laying.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Sounds like molting to me. I have a mixed flock of different ages and my Australorp at about 1 1/2 yrs old has been molting for about a month. She has never been totally bald, but looks pretty ragged - grumpy - goes to roost early - no eggs. I'll be glad when she is her lovable and pretty self again.

4. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    Sounds like molting to me. My Isa's & White Leghorns are molting. I have one of each that look very bad, just as you described. My barred rocks have picked up the egg laying slack, as they are slightly younger & haven't been molting, & I believe have just started to lay.

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, Molting [​IMG] Get some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) at your feed store and throw a handful to your hens as a treat in the morning for extra protein to help them grow in their new feathers. I also throw a handful of old fashioned oats (dry) each morning to my girls to give them extra vit B.
    [​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, she's probably molting. Some, but not all, pullets in that age range go through what is commonly called a mini-molt. It is usually much shorter and not as extensive as the second year molt, but they can still feel a bit off and stop or slow down laying for awhile. You can bump up the protien ration for your girls with treats or by switching to a higher protien feed for awhile to get them thru it a bit faster and in better shape, but it's still something that mostly just has to run its course.

7. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    whew.
    she also has stopped laying. It seemed so quick that she began to moult, as she's only been laying for a few months. whereas my chickens that are almost a year and a half, just finished their first moult.
    Do some breeds moult before others, or is it just really what mother nature decides.

she does look silly with the skinny neck and the fluffy mop up top.

I was so concerned she was infested, but, the fear was shortlived when I saw the feather barbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by