Mountain Quail Chick Care Guide

Catastrophic

Songster
Apr 1, 2021
Shawnee, Kansas
I Was planning to get some quail this spring because I hugely expanded my aviary to hold pheasants and lovebirds together and they live all in relative harmony, but I will separate them in the breeding season because I am aware that they will fight. But I was always interested in the new world quail breeds and I’ve seen mountain quail adults for sale in the past in my area and I feel that i am finally able to house and have them, my question is what is the incubation, chick care, and breeding behaviors of mountain quail. Since I’ve read that mountain quail are quite different than other breeds. Thanks

Incubation period for Mountain quail is 24 to 26 days, the norm being 26 days. They are a little more demanding in the care and rearing of the young. Temperature of the brooder is more critical than with other quail species...too warm/hot and they tend to get pasty butt easily...at least in my experience with raising the chicks.
A complete and balanced gamebird feed ration of 24% protein is recommended, fresh clean water, and shade in the summer months. A well landscaped enclosure goes a long way in providing a healthy habitat.

Incubation period for Mountain quail is 24 to 26 days, the norm being 26 days. They are a little more demanding in the care and rearing of the young. Temperature of the brooder is more critical than with other quail species...too warm/hot and they tend to get pasty butt easily...at least in my experience with raising the chicks.
A complete and balanced gamebird feed ration of 24% protein is recommended, fresh clean water, and shade in the summer months. A well landscaped enclosure goes a long way in providing a healthy habitat.
Thanks so much, this is really useful 👍

Do they eat right away after hatching like Coturnix quail or do you need to hand feed them in the first few days? I Read somewhere that you need to hand feed the chicks.

I usually have other quail hatching at the same time, (Bob's, Blues, Gamble's) so the other quail 'teach' the Mountains but I haven't noticed any difference if I have them separated as well....just depends on your specific situation.
I crush the crumbles up for a week after they hatch but I do that for all of my quail hatches. I don't hand feed any of them.

I usually have other quail hatching at the same time, (Bob's, Blues, Gamble's) so the other quail 'teach' the Mountains but I haven't noticed any difference if I have them separated as well....just depends on your specific situation.
I crush the crumbles up for a week after they hatch but I do that for all of my quail hatches. I don't hand feed any of them.
Just thinking: Do you think baby bantams (maybe a week older) would also teach them? I have also read about the hand feeding but never have had to (yet).

Just thinking: Do you think baby bantams (maybe a week older) would also teach them? I have also read about the hand feeding but never have had to (yet).
Do not mix quail and chickens. Get some Bobwhite eggs or chicks to help teach the Mountain chicks.

Back
Top Bottom