Mourning doves pals with chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shalom Farm, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I was ready to turn the flock out the other day and noticed a pair of morning doves amongst the chickens. Of course, they enjoy picking up their scraps and sneaking in for warmth... Is it safe for my flock though? I know several people in the area own doves, pigeons, etc. I don't see them banded. They aren't particularly shy of people.

I really don't mind them if they aren't a risk to the flock. Since they free range, the come into contact with sparrows, crows, robins, etc. all the time. None of those birds though have the gal to come into the coop and make themselves at home though!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think you answered your own question - they free range and are in contact with wild birds all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have wild bobwhite quail that hang with my birds. I love watching them together, plus the quail are a great alert system.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had doves show up last spring, they've made themeselves at home and had babies last year, so this year I have more doves lol. As you said, they're in and out of the run, along with the permanent flock of sparrows, the finches, scrub jays, etc. I have no problems with disease or parasites.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unless you raise your chickens in a bubble, there's not much you can do. And, even if the local birds weren't in contact with your flock, you can't keep them from pooping on your land!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Ok, thanks, just wasn't sure if Doves and chickens mixed well in the same coop or not. I know ducks and chickens generally can have issues, just wanted to be sure.

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    On the doves part it is completely voluntary. The chickens are big enough to take care of any dove that wants to get uppity, and if the chickens get nasty, the doves can just fly the coop.

8. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    Just remember not to turn those doves into "pets" by closing them up in the coop on purpose for extended periods of tome. They are migratory game birds, so stiff penalties if you purposefully capture them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by