Mouse invasion

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
We went on vacation. My chicken sitter called me 3 days before my return saying the food was very low and asking about refilling feeders. I had filled two 11# feeders for 12 gals and I was fully expecting that to last the entire 10 days! The day I returned, I set up a tin cat live trap right under the feeder with a smear of peanut butter for bait. I have caught six mice this way so far! They invaded our house and garage as well so there must have been a population explosion. Ugh. The tin cat seems the safest bet for use inside a coop.

Barn cat is back on duty now but she's an old lady so I don't know that she's doing all that much mousing anymore. Pity because I've always left the food in place and that's not working so well now.

I had some mouse issues a few winters ago. I don't keep continuously full feeders, and that helps. I try to measure it so they are near empty by roost time.

I put regular snap traps under a mini milk carton and set a heavy rock on top. Mice can get it but chickens can't. That's just one alternative, if you don't want to live trap them. ETA can you can fit about three traps under there. Of course you could use as many setups as you like. There are also electric ones that will do multiple kills instead of tripping off each time but they can be pricey. I've used an electric trap for one that got in my house (it dropped from the gutter onto my head as I was walking inside!) and I like them. It's a quick and hopefully not too painful death.

Back
Top Bottom