1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

mouse manure on eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by islandcickenlady, Nov 29, 2009.

1. islandcickenlady

islandcickenlady Hatching

Nov 29, 2009
    There was mouse manure, and probably urine, on shells of a carton of eggs left in the coop by mistake. I've washed the eggs off with dawn dish detergent and water. Does the mouse manure/urine permeate the shell and membrane? Are the eggs safe to eat?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Can't imagine anything good coming of this. I'd toss.

Imp-If in doubt throw it out.

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    better safe than sorry u'll get more eggs i'm sure:)

4. islandcickenlady

islandcickenlady Hatching

Nov 29, 2009
    Thank you.

5. Those shells are pourous, even with the protective bloom that is layed over the shell by the hen I would imagine that mouse urine is strong enough to disolve and penetrate that.
    I would not chance that.

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I would toss them, and figure out how to place a few mouse traps to remove the threat!
    no Offense to mice, I have raised many. But wild rodents carry Disease! and you can't be too careful where your food is concerned!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK this thread just screamed "needs a mouse urine or mouse manure recipe" Something like a mouse poop custard. [​IMG]

I googled but couldn't find anything.

Imp-feels like a failure now.

8. tulie13

tulie13 Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] OK, seriously, I am in agreement, better to throw them out than to chance anything here. And get some mouse traps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by