Mouse Poison and the Chicken that ate the tiny mouse that ate the ...

Were you able to get a hold of a vet?
It is tough in WI to find a vet for poultry.
There is a vet in Menominee that has a vet that has her own flock of chickens. She may be one to talk to if you haven't been able to get an answer from a vet.

@LaFleche —- You are so awesome to check in. She’s doing fine. Keeping up with her coop mates and eating. I put a white paper towel strip on the poop board and no funky colored poop. Will do that again tonight. I did talk with a “friend of a friend” who is a vet tech who also has chickens and she said to look for discolored skin/bruising in a daily basis. I sent her pics and so far she said she looks okay but to keep monitoring as within next day or so would see.

We have replaced all bait with sticky boards that are in a box. Leave it to a wife crying to her hubby about her chickens to change stuff -LOL

@LaFleche —- You are so awesome to check in. She’s doing fine. Keeping up with her coop mates and eating. I put a white paper towel strip on the poop board and no funky colored poop. Will do that again tonight. I did talk with a “friend of a friend” who is a vet tech who also has chickens and she said to look for discolored skin/bruising in a daily basis. I sent her pics and so far she said she looks okay but to keep monitoring as within next day or so would see.

We have replaced all bait with sticky boards that are in a box. Leave it to a wife crying to her hubby about her chickens to change stuff -LOL

Did you not separate her or do the other hens have different egg colours?

To look out for bruising signs is a good tip from the vet tech. Hopefully she will get past this without major blood loss.

Keep up the good care, she is lucky to have you.

I really hope you're either able to know which eggs are hers and discard or that you just arent eating any of their eggs. If she did indeed eat a rat that ate poison it wouldnt be wise to then eat her eggs.

Did you not separate her or do the other hens have different egg colours?

To look out for bruising signs is a good tip from the vet tech. Hopefully she will get past this without major blood loss.

Keep up the good care, she is lucky to have you.
I did not separate her - her mates have same and diff color eggs and I'm only collecting the diff colored ones. Two nights of white paper towel on the poop board - put on at night when I see where she's at on the roost - and no more funky colored poo (the other day could have been tomatoes as they all found a bushel basket I had and had "happy hour" with them). I checked the rest of droppings on the board and roost bar and do not see oddities there either. I checked her this morning for any signs of bruising and all looks good - her skin, her waddles and comb all look normal. My prayer is that she really did catch that little mouse and we'll be good. I will continue to monitor for the next week.

That sounds quite promising, hopefully it will stay like this. Look into her beak / throat as well, it might be easier to detect petechia (needle pin like blood spots) of the mucosa.

That sounds quite promising, hopefully it will stay like this. Look into her beak / throat as well, it might be easier to detect petechia (needle pin like blood spots) of the mucosa.
[/QUOTE
@LaFleche - I checked mouth and do not see anything like blood spots - near front or towards her throat. Paper towel looks clean, too. To be safe, I'm going to check my other chickens too.

Back
Top Bottom