1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mouse problem.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mullers3acers, Nov 7, 2008.

1. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    What is the most effective and less dangerous way to get rid of mice? Don't want to hurt barn cats or hens and roos.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We use Just One Bite, it's a big block of poison that the mice/rats have to chew on the get a piece of it. You get it at the local feed and seed and it's like $1.95 for two bars. Works wonders!!!!

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes you can catch mice with a bucket of water, especially if the dwelling is otherwise dry.

Poison is tricky, depends on whether you have a safe place to bait them...

We support a feral cat colony and have no rodents in the barn/coop anymore! [​IMG]

4. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    I use hawk bait chunks in a hawk mouse bait station so the chickens don't eat it.

5. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    The only problem with poison is that the mouse will eat the poison and then be an easy target for the cat. When the cat eats the dead or dying mouse it too becomes poisoned. [​IMG] I believe the best bet is some type of mechanical mouse trap. There are several that will capture the mouse and that would not harm your cat.

[​IMG]

Good luck,

Litewings

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I maybe stupid but I thought someone posted at one time that if you put soda pop out that it would do the trick?But would that hurt the cats or the chickens?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I use a spring loaded live trap....a plastic box I got from the hardware store. I use p-nut butter to attract them.

Then I take them out in the middle of the yard to turn them loose for the chickens to have fun with.

8. chickenman11

chickenman11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    If you are going to use poison put it in a open bottle so the mice can go in but cats or other animals cant. hope this helps:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by