Movable run with foxes - wishful thinking?

MamaInPajamas

Songster
8 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I was really hoping to be able to make a movable run for my chicks, but we have foxes that moved into the neighborhood. Everything I've found on building fox proof runs involved burying the mesh. Is it possible to keep them safe from foxes in a movable run? I'm looking at a used chain link dog kennel (covered). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Can you fence off your garden/the area you are gonna move the run around in? Either with a sturdy fence thats buried into the ground, or an electric poultry fence (these are moveable too!), so that the actual run is more of a second line of defence rather than the primary one. Having a section in the tractor/moveable pen that has a floor and can be locked up at night seems good too.. like a little moveable house. Thats my plan :)

It might be possible to create a tractor that has netting going around it on the ground too, with some clever designing

Thank you! I'll look into that. Do you know if it's OK around kids though?
Well, I grew up with electric horse fencing. I got zapped a few times, but I soon figured out to not touch that wire. I'm sure your kids are smart enough to not touch the electric fencing more than once.
wink.png

Of course, it was also funny to get my city cousins to touch the wire as well.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom