Move the broody??

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
We have our first broody hen. My inclination was to section her off where she was to protect her from the other hens. However, the broody is in the "the" nest box. There are plenty available, but she's sitting on the only nest box that our hens use. We've collected no eggs today. I'm wondering if the other girls are holding their eggs in (is that possible?) or what. Is it best to leave the broody and the others will find a new spot or should we move the broody and let life get back to normal? I was really hoping to slip a couple more eggs under her today (she got in the nest yesterday and is on only 3 eggs), but with no other hens laying....
Thanks!

i'm going through that right now. what i think you'll find is that there's a strong chance when your broody hen goes to drink or eat, she'll come back and set in the wrong nest if hers is taken or sit on the wrong nest if one of your other hens lay an egg in a different nest and hers is taken. i would section her off with her own nest, her own place to eat and drink and a place to poop. probably best to move her at night so she is less likely to reject the new area. good luck!

Hi, I always move mine once they are really settled on their eggs...
Last year moved one into a large parrot cage.(left the door open during the day.closed at night)
and two were moved into
cardboard boxes.the kind apples come in.........
I also seperate them ...not into a differnt room.
I have a large cage made from chickenwire that I can just set over them.
Plenty of room for them to stetch thier legs and also keep in sight of the other chickens.
The cardboard boxes are what my hens prefer for nesting boxes........
I think it is because they can duck down and feel hidden...........
If they get dirty...I repllace them and burn the old one.
We have one expesive three nest box.and they will not use it......
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom