Move the food and water inside but they still won't go in at night!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smalltownchicks, Dec 7, 2011.

1. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    It's getting colder -3 today and crawling under the coop in the run and physically putting the girls into the coop is getting old. I really thought that once it got cold that the would go in. I got a suggestion to put their food and water inside and I did that. That was yesterday morning. I got 2 eggs so I know that 2 of them were inside at some point. When I put them in that night they all acted like they hadn't had food or water all day. So after a night in the coop and most of the morning, I let them down this afternoon. I got 5 eggs today (out of 7 hens). None of them went up in the coop for the night so I had to put them all away again...again, they drank and drank water. Should I leave them "cooped up" for a longer period?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    It normally takes me three or four days to teach them to go up,but I have two that just will not do it and I still have to go out every night and put them in their house.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Lock them inside the coop for like 3 days, don't even let them out during the day.

After three days let them out and see if they go back in in the evening.

If they don't repeat for 4 or 5 days.

Also double check and make sure they feel secure; are there drafts? do they have comfortable roosts? etc...

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

When training my chickens, i usually have to physically put them away every night (for up to 7-10 days) until they get the idea.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Put a light in there where they can see it from their doorway.

It usually makes a difference.

6. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    I have a light in the coop and they used to go in. There have been some changes. I added a poop board which I've since removed. They have also started laying. I think with all of that and then add crazy cold weather and it's just gotten them a little off. It sure is a pain to have to put them in every night. I'm hoping they learn fast. I even thought that it was because they were growing...maybe they were getting too big to go up the ramp.(I'm grasping here) Then I saw my biggest girl hop up on top of the 4 ft fence. Nope!

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Sometimes they don't like to go in if they have felt a threat in there. Could something be prowling around at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by