Move to the big coop = integrate new birds?

Rural Broody

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Southern Ontario, Canada
Hi! Another integration question for everyone.

I had my 13 girls in my house brooder these past five weeks. A friend of mine got chicks from the same hatchery that are the same age as mine and after a week realized she had too many and gave five to me. I decided to keep them separate (don't know if that was the right choice) so they wouldn't fight. They had separate brooders next to each other the last few weeks. Last night I moved them ALL out to the big coop and I just remembered I read that a move to a new location can "reset" the pecking order per se. I didn't INTEGRATE them last night, but do you think it would be safe to try that today?? Or have I missed my window and need to wait it out a bit longer? I really want them to finally be all together.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of your question. You moved them all to the big coop last night together? And you're asking if you should separate them again? If they're all together now, why not leave them? If they're not, I'd suggest putting them together. In my opinion, earlier is better as far as integration - I think the potential for major fighting increases as they get older.

Oh wow sorry! Didn't realize how unclear I was being haha.

Separate while in my house.
Just moved all out to coop but still separated. (5 new birds in the cage, others free)
Should I just open the cage to the 5 new ones?

(Edited my initial post for clarity
1f601.png
)

Oh wow sorry! Didn't realize how unclear I was being haha.

Separate while in my house.
Just moved all out to coop but still separated. (5 new birds in the cage, others free)
Should I just open the cage to the 5 new ones?
That's what I would do. Just for curiosity's sake, how big is your coop (feet by feet)? Do they have access to an attached run? Plenty of space will help curb potential problems.

Great! I did that and so far it's like they've been together all along! I moved around the existing branches and logs, added some new obstacles, and moved the food and water dishes a bit to make the place feel new again, too. They have barely even noticed each other while exploring all the new things!

My coop is pretty large too. 8x23 so they have tons of space to run away from each other. No run access yet.

I'm very happy
1f601.png

Great! I did that and so far it's like they've been together all along! I moved around the existing branches and logs, added some new obstacles, and moved the food and water dishes a bit to make the place feel new again, too. They have barely even noticed each other while exploring all the new things!

My coop is pretty large too. 8x23 so they have tons of space to run away from each other. No run access yet.

I'm very happy
1f601.png
That's like the perfect integration scenario.
8 feet x 23 feet? That's huge!

You should wait a bit longer, and maybe also do it gradually, to make sure that the other chickens see them, and after a while put them in with the others. Pecking order will always happen, but it will be solved, and they will live in prosperity.

Hope that was helpful!

Back
Top Bottom