Move turkeys to a new area each year?

adoptapitbull

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Eastern WV
I just got 2 RP poults today. Not sure of the sexes yet, so we'll see what happens there. I had been discussing turkeys with a neighbor who said I'd have to move their pen each breeding season so that it was not in the same place as it was the prior year. Has anyone heard this? And when exactly do you separate the tom from the hen? Early Spring? How do you mate them?

I plan on free ranging them with my chickens, as I have read that others do this as well. I was wondering how to feed the turkeys their feed when they are out with the chickens. Should I mix the feeds together in the feeder, or try to coax the turkeys over to their designated feeder?

Any other new turkey owner tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I haven't bred my turkeys yet.. but i have no heard of Moving the breeding areas every year.. but I'm not exactly the greatest person to ask either.

But! For Breeding... Get a turkey Saddle for your hens.. I heard they help with Leverage.. lol
A Bump for you!!

Last edited:
I've never heard of moving the pens. That would be tough for most people. Mine free range and don't live in a pen. They actually live on top of a chicken pen. Yep, that's the spot they picked. They free range with the chickens, ducks and geese. I have food out for my birds 24/7. I have layer pellets and sometimes I mix in flockraiser. You don't need a turkey saddle. That's only if your hen is really worked over by the tom and is losing feathers badly. Toms aren't aggressive like roosters. As far as I can tell the hen has to accept the tom. That's what I have noticed with mine. The hens find a place to lay their eggs and then will nest on them. The tom goes about business as usual and doesn't bother looking for the girls.

You will really like your turkeys they are wonderful to watch. I love the sounds they make. Have fun with them.

Thanks, guys.

The neighbor used to have turkeys probably 50 years ago, so I'm just going to assume that it was the way they did it back then. I don't think anyone free ranged years ago, did they?

Back
Top Bottom