Moveable run.

Roseville

Hatching
Feb 9, 2020
I'm getting my first chickens next month and have some run questions. I will have a stationary chicken coop with fenced in run area but also would like to be able to move the chickens to other parts of my property in a portable run. Should I have a nesting box in the portable run as well? I'm guessing I should also have some water inside the portable run. The chickens will always be returned to the stationary coop in the evening. Thanks for any advice.

A cat litter box with lid is an easy nestbox for the run. Yes, they do need a bowl (easier than a waterer in my opinion) of water.
Do you need ideas on making the run?

A portable run is great for a few hours. That way chickens can eat fresh grasses and herbs. But in general they are quit small and provide no shelter or roosts. So the chickens get bored in a short while.

How old are the chickens? What kind?

A cat litter box with lid is an easy nestbox for the run. Yes, they do need a bowl (easier than a waterer in my opinion) of water.
Do you need ideas on making the run?
Thanks! I was planning on making my run out of pvc pipe But I’d love suggestions.

A portable run is great for a few hours. That way chickens can eat fresh grasses and herbs. But in general they are quit small and provide no shelter or roosts. So the chickens get bored in a short while.

How old are the chickens? What kind?
Good to know. I’m getting Barred Rock chicks in a few weeks so I have time to figure out the run. I just wanted to consider the best way to go about it.

If I would make a portable run, Maybe I would buy a party tent and cat netting. Glue all the parts together and attach netting to all sides. Leave one opening (roll-up). Put the fabric on top when there is too much rain or too much sun. But get it off with stormy weather.

It’s big, light weight and easy to replace with 2.

PVC was one of the suggestions.
•T-posts, 3’ fencing with bird netting tossed over the top. Deer netting is a heavier material than bird netting, and works great as fencing since chicken wire has issues when you try to move it.
•A wood frame with hardware cloth arched over it.
•A series of tunnels you can reconfigure like habitrails. You can use fridge/grill/oven racks for doors.

42BA5814-2F01-4427-88D3-19CCDEE54B7E.jpeg

I wouldn't choose a fencing like that for 2 reasons:
  1. Pvc is a polluting material, and plastics break down easily in all kind of weather (sun, freezing), e.g. if the joints brake you cant fix it anymore.
  2. Its not safe: quit easy for predators to get in and the chickens are an easy pray locked up. Imo:free ranging is more safe than a pen.

Should I have a nesting box in the portable run as well? I'm guessing I should also have some water inside the portable run.
I would have both of these provisions if they cannot freely get back to their regular coop/run where these are located, doesn't have to be fancy. When free-ranging, my chickens go back/forth to their coop/run throughout the day to lay an egg, snack at the feeder and/or get water.

Should I have a nesting box in the portable run as well? I'm guessing I should also have some water inside the portable run. The chickens will always be returned to the stationary coop in the evening. Thanks for any advice.

Portable run should have water, feed, nestbox, shade, protection from rain.

Exception: if they're in the portable run for less than an hour, they'll probably be OK without the feed.

The nestbox is for your sake, not theirs. You want them in the habit of laying eggs somewhere clean and easy to find, like a nestbox. So yes, laying hens need the nestbox to be available, unless every hen has already laid her egg for that day.

Back
Top Bottom