Moved loft only about 30 feet--issues with homing?

No they will have no problem with that. I should say my birds would have no problem with that. If they could not adapt to that short move they are not much of a loss.

Well, it's now been just over a week and the 3 birds that went missing last weekend still have not returned. I am still keeping the door open for them during the daylight hours, but my hopes are not high.

This leaves me with 6 birds, 3 blue bars and 3 blue checks. They are all birds that have been with me for over 6 months. I am not flying them until I have at least a few sets of successfully raised squabs. Now employing the Hokum Coco mentality of not flying these birds, because with 6 birds left, I'm not willing to lose any of them.

Of the 3 missing, one of them was my wife's favorite bird, and she's crushed by it. We've lost several other birds, but it was almost always during a training period, not long after we had got them. This is the first loss that has really hit us emotionally, since these 3 had been with us for so long, and the loss is so inexplicable.

I really think my birds are joining local feral flocks. There are many flocks within 1 mile of my house. I think they see them flying in packs of dozens, sometimes 50+ birds, so they fly with them, and follow them a bit and they are led to food and such, so they choose to stay out there. I hope they're happier and remain safe.

Real sorry about your losses.:hit Is 'Growly' still with you?

Yes, Growly is still with us, growling away, but that silver one with the small head is gone. She took off with two of my cock birds, one of which I suspected was her side man. Her true mate she left behind in the loft. I've been giving him extra peanuts lately to mend his heartbreak.

Back
Top Bottom