Moved my chicks out of the house today!

awilde20

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
My chicks that hatched July 18, were moved out to their coop today! I can just tell they are so excited! I'm thinking about leaving them in there during the day, but bringing them back in at night time just to play it safe. Not sure. Any suggestions?

Do it exactly the opposite. Put chickens out at night. At night chickens are kind of "dopey" and will be a lot less aggressive.

hope it helped.
big_smile.png

The chicks are the only ones in the coop. Grown turkeys are in another. I am afraid something will get them if they are by themselves at night. Thanks!

I would keep them locked in the coop for several days before letting them out during the day. Then, likely, they will put themselves to bed. (Mine do.)

They are almost fully feathered now and trying to fly a little bit. Do you think they will be able to get to a safe place incase something tries to harm them? I don't think anything will be able to get to them, but I am a worry wort!

Isn't it nice to have them outside? We just moved our chicks out yesterday (mine hatched about July 7) and I did a little happy dance! I was nervous about moving them outside at night, but finally decided to keep them in a large dog crate right against the back of the house where our dog can protect them from night marauders. I also have a heat lamp for them at night, just to keep them closer to the inside temps they are used to while they adjust. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom