Moved my girls into bigger brooder(with pictures)

99TJ

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
So we got 12 Barred rock pullets about 3.5 weeks ago and well they were in a 100g rubbermaid water trough. and started to out grow them. Well I wanted something bigger for my girls so built this this 3" x 5" brooder.

83326_cimg1428.jpg

Also what is the chances of getting a Roo in a with the girls. You would think that one would slip through the sexing after hattching. Well I have one Barred Rock that is very very much lighter in color then the other 10 and have bigger leggs and they are very light in color, along with the comb is bigger then the rest and all ready turing red. This chick also likes to stand taller then everyone else. like it wants everyone to be looking up at him/her.

here he is in the back standing on the 4x4

83326_cimg1430.jpg

here the peep is all by its self. Head was turned away.

83326_cimg1427.jpg

Let me know what you think,

Gary

Very cool brooder I have mine in a child's swimming pool with cardboard walls. Yours is much nicer! I got 4 chickens from the farm store last year and one ended up a roo, so it happens!! Good luck.

(by the way, my roo last year stood up higher and was the last to grow a tail, you may be right)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments I am very proud of it myself.

I am working on a Coop when I can this new brooder gives me a little more time to finish coop.

Gave the Peeps a couple seedless grapes yesterday and tell ya what chicken foot ball is about the funnies things ever.

Gary

Since I got plenty of replies for my similar question, and now consider myself an expert!!
wink.png
I'll share what I learned. It sounds like the most dependable method for barred rocks is looking at the legs: the black down the front of the legs is a girl - all yellow legs are boys. Mine are only a week or so old so time will tell. I was also told to look at the head spots but that didn't seem as clear. I think I have all pullets so I can't vouch for the color difference, but I've seen plenty say that this was not their experience. I had 2 that I figured would be male based on their upright nature and boisterous attitude but it looks like I was wrong. Nice brooder!

Back
Top Bottom