Moved them out. Need some opinions, and expertise TONIGHT. PICS.......

tknjk

Songster
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
Abilene, TX
Well I moved them out. Last night I did a dry run with the heat lamp, and no shavings, and it stayed
upwards of 90-100 degrees in there. I just need to know what too hot is. I can put a smaller bulb in
there, or I can open a vent or something. Here is a layout of the coop now occupied.
2vbsbvo.jpg

The temp furthest away from the light.
1hupgz.jpg

Under the light.
2yyni3n.jpg

And he little girl with roadrash on her nose approves.
34yduzo.jpg

I need to know if this looks kosher tonight. I don't want to wake up with a coop full of baked chicks, or
any other surprises. Lemme know.

Quote:
My first chicks are due next week,but it looks good.Do they have an area they can get away from the heat if they get too warm?
Let us know if you sleep at all tonight! LOL

That ledge that my daughter is sitting on is as far away as they can get.
I won't be sleeping tonight, because I have to work the night shift tomorrow.
wink.png

The only worry I have is itgetting too hot in there, and I don't know what too hot is for them.

I think they look feathered out enough that if you're having warm weather still, they may not even need a light. Here it gets down to freezing at night, so I make sure mine have 2 lights in case one burns out. I like to have the light lower with a lower watt bulb, even just a 20 watt if the weather is 80 degrees during the day. They just need a little place to go to warm up. I've seen chicks with their mothers in the dead of winter spending very little time under her wings.

Looks great to me. My hubby bought me a thermostat that works great, it turns the light off if it gets too hot. He works at a hardware store, so I get lots of goodies. Mine is really simple, maybe something like that would ease your mind.

Looks like plenty of place for them to get away from the heat - don't fret they'll be fine!

You will need to flip that roost around - you want the broad flat side for them to roost on not the skinny side. When they're older of course.

(LOOK how nice and POOP free it is!)

Last edited:
WoW that thermostat is pricier than I though it would be. I guess I'll just have to check the temp myself a couple times a day.
I have been checking it for the last few hours, and it hasn't gotten any hotter than 90. I think I'll be alright.

Back
Top Bottom