Moved to Missouri!!!!

Is it the weather that causes misery? I've always loved Missouri, though I've never been there in the winter.
It could be, Nah, really its a great state to live in, cheaper than most for sure. As they say Mother Nature is Bi-Polar...its the truth, The weatherman once said, it will be 80 degrees tomorrow...40 in the morning and 40 in the evening. Missouri, the only state you can wear shorts and flip flops then coat and boots in the same day LOL we can get some crazy weather and not just in the winter. Me, I would prefer to live in a cold climate with a wood stove year round ( I hate Mosquitoes but they love me ) Thats probly the Misery part.

Hello FINALLY again. After living in Bismarck, to Indiana, to Northern Minnesota... We are finally to where we can have chickens again in Missouri!!!! Yay! Our family has missed chickens. We have been here just a month, and plan to build a coop through the winter and be ready for spring chicks. Also building a tractor for meat birds. My daughter has just created a profile here too. Make sure to say hi to 1Fatchicken. I'm so happy to have my chicken friends back. ☺️. We are about an hour and a half south of Kansas City, MO. Also new this area too, not knowing the growing seasons, and predators.
Congrats on preparing for chickens again! We got chickens for the first time a couple years ago. I have to say, I wish I had gotten them a long time ago! They are wonderful. I live in Mid-Missouri. If you get chicks in January or February you should have your first eggs in June or July, at least that's what we did. We kept them inside for 2 months or so.....not sure I can recommend that! Messy little things, lol. We hatch a few of our own now after finally deciding to get a rooster and later an incubator this summer! He's such a good boy, and we are having a blast! I'm excited for some green eggers.
Welcome to Missouri and good luck with chicken adventures!

Congratulations on your new Missouri home, and beginning again with chickens! Welcome to BYC and Welcome @1Fatchicken

When I moved to St. Louis, Missouri from the eastern half of the US, I discovered it not only had a different grow season, though it was same latitude, but also really was a completely different climate and biome. I moved from the eastern forest to a plains climate zone. What a shock and learning experience!

If you have been gardening in Bismark, you probably already experienced that. Do talk to your Missouri neighbors both here (using the thread) and in the BYC gardening forum, but also in real life.

Best wishes with your chickens and all your plans!

Is it the weather that causes misery? I've always loved Missouri, though I've never been there in the winter.
For me it's the fact that there's only one week in the Spring and one week in the Fall that are good weather, meaning not 100 degrees in the shade and not freezing cold LOL Then there's the Missouri clay if you like to garden. If you don't add truckloads of leaf mold yearly, it's like cement. LOL But maybe the KC area is different soil. I'm in Southern St. Charles County, over by St. Louis.

For me it's the fact that there's only one week in the Spring and one week in the Fall that are good weather, meaning not 100 degrees in the shade and not freezing cold LOL Then there's the Missouri clay if you like to garden. If you don't add truckloads of leaf mold yearly, it's like cement. LOL But maybe the KC area is different soil. I'm in Southern St. Charles County, over by St. Louis.
Sounds like you're ready for a move.
I am too. I'm looking for a climate that stays between 75 and 80 during the day, between 55 and 65 at night, where the sun shines every day and it rains only between 10 pm and 4 am 2 to 3x a week. No storms, just rain. Oh, and I don't want any tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, or sandstorms. 🤣

Sounds like you're ready for a move.
I am too. I'm looking for a climate that stays between 75 and 80 during the day, between 55 and 65 at night, where the sun shines every day and it rains only between 10 pm and 4 am 2 to 3x a week. No storms, just rain. Oh, and I don't want any tornadoes, hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, or sandstorms. 🤣
If you find that place let me know :thumbsup

1670759896889.png

Back
Top Bottom