Moving 4 wk old quail to garage - Heat questions.

Feb 17, 2021
Next week my first group of quail chicks will be 4 weeks old and I'd hoped to move them to our garage before our celadon eggs hatch.
Our night Temps are still in the low 30s (F) at night outside so my garage will still be quite cold. They have a grass hut shelter and they'll have pine shavings/ straw in the cage but I'm thinking they'll need a heat lamp too.
Currently we only have heat tables for our brooders, so I need to go buy a lamp.

What watt bulb do I need to buy? Should I only run the lamp during the day? Should I wean them off the heat lamp only a few weeks time? When can I remove the extra heat (while keeping them in the garage?

There are 11 chicks in that group of quail and the cages are 2x4ft. Should I keep all the 11 quail together for heat and separate them once they hit 5-6 weeks? Or will they be too crowded?

There are 5 more chicks that are 7-10 days behind them in hatching that will also move out there when they hit 4 weeks so I can have the brooders ready for celadon chicks.
Can I add these chicks to the others when they hit 4 weeks so that they have more body heat?

I was thinking by that time I can split the first group and add in the 4 week chicks. (If that makes sense.)

The cage will probably stay inside until the celadon chicks can also go outdoors -closer to Mid May.

I would recommend a 80-125W and check floor temps to keep it around 60* max in warm end of brooder weaning down to ambient temps over next 2 weeks.
Technically they don’t need any heat after 3-4 weeks and fully feathered but mine still enjoy it on those colder nights 🤣
I’ve also done a cozy coop flat panel at one end of a cage for a little extra warmth when acclimating.

I would recommend a 80-125W and check floor temps to keep it around 60* max in warm end of brooder weaning down to ambient temps over next 2 weeks.
Excellent. I'll get a bulb today.

Should I keep all 11 together until I add the later 5 chicks and then divide after I sex them?

I’m in UT as well! I’ve got 4-5 week old quails. I’ve been reading that it is ok to put them outside at this time, even in winter. Some of them don’t have bald spots on their chest but other than that most of the feathers are in.

how did it work out for you? The lows right now for temps are between 17-35. Do you think it would be ok to get them out in their hutch?

I’m in UT as well! I’ve got 4-5 week old quails. I’ve been reading that it is ok to put them outside at this time, even in winter. Some of them don’t have bald spots on their chest but other than that most of the feathers are in.

how did it work out for you? The lows right now for temps are between 17-35. Do you think it would be ok to get them out in their hutch?
Hello! What part of Utah are you in?

I just posted this today, so we won't move them out until next week but I'm buying a heat lamp and we're going to transition them to the garage for 2 weeks before putting them directly outdoors.

We also have true blue celadon eggs hatching in 10 days, so we'll follow the same plan for them.

If you plan to mix them I'd do it now. It's not easy mixing flocks and the younger the better. Just be prepared to step in because your calm little birds turn in a flash when a newbie shows up. Mixing flocks is not easy

Thank you. I'm headed to get a heat lamp today.

Before I move them out to my garage for nights too... should I put them out during the days for a while to help them transition?

Back
Top Bottom