Moving 5 week old quail outside canadian winter

turkeybirdpecky

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
We are in southwest Ontario... and these little guys stink (morning sickness and guests coming over...). Can we kick them out!?

Their corturnix, in a wire cage, there is 17 of them.

We can out them in the garage with either a heat lamp or space heater.

Can I just move them out or is there a procedure?

I would probably go with whatever option lets you keep a heater on them. 5 weeks should mean that their adult plumage is mostly there, but if it’s consistently freezing outside they cannot go out in the elements without at that age without a warm set of winter down which they won’t grow until they molt. If they can sit in a garage where it’s not as warm as indoors but warmer than outside, that would get them adjusted faster.

I would start with the garage. Make sure they have shelter (boxes or something) and are kept dry. As long as the temps aren't below freezing in the garage, they should be okay.

Oh, and make sure they have lots to eat. Maybe some mealworm treats because they'll be burning more calories to keep warm.

Keep them in there for a week or two, then you should be able to move them outside.

I just moved my three weeks old outside with shelter boxes, and while they're feeling cold, they're huddling in the boxes and doing fine. It's been in the high 60s, low 70s during the day, and down to high 30s, low 40s during the night.

I would start with the garage. Make sure they have shelter (boxes or something) and are kept dry. As long as the temps aren't below freezing in the garage, they should be okay.

Oh, and make sure they have lots to eat. Maybe some mealworm treats because they'll be burning more calories to keep warm.

Keep them in there for a week or two, then you should be able to move them outside.

I just moved my three weeks old outside with shelter boxes, and while they're feeling cold, they're huddling in the boxes and doing fine. It's been in the high 60s, low 70s during the day, and down to high 30s, low 40s during the night.
Do you have a picture of your shelter boxes?

I use cardboard boxes with entry holes cut into two sides. I also use dollar store baskets with entrances. This is a late spring/summer picture so there are only a couple in there.
1614445393436.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom