Moving a 12x60 mobile home to become a coop???

cterbizan

Songster
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Oklahoma
So my husband and I were wanting to make a mobile home as a coop pretty much knock out all the inside walls except for the bedroom and maybe the bathroom. We were going to use the bedroom pretty much as our brooder room. Well we have it all planned out except for does anyone know how much it would cost to move a mobile home??? I am wanting to move it about 120 miles from FL to GA. I don't know weather I want the whole set up or not. Has anyone else done this or have experience in moving a mobile home??? I was just wondering about the cost what all needs to be done.

Last edited:
My husband moves mobile homes. I think you're looking at at least $2000- if you aren't going to have the water & all that hooked up it should save you a bit. I think right now to move a double wide with complete set up is about $5000, but when you buy a new one it's added into the total price. I think it's a great idea.

My former brother in law had one moved here in NH from about 3 hours away and it cost $3000, and that was close to ten years ago. Might be less in South? I'm not sure.

Oh I don't know if I really want to open myself up but here goes. I already read where one BYCer said " YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK CHICKEN OWNER " if you did this. But I guess I really don't care.

On the property we bought last June there was an Airstream Trailer about 28 feet long or longer. We have a lot of woods so I can do this without the neighbors complaining or even seeing.
We took the tires off of it and set it down on railroad ties. We are putting a chain link run around it.We are tearing out the inside and making one end the chicken house. The center area will be a brooder area and the other end for feed and storage. It does have electricity. Brooders,fans etc.... Still working out the kinks. I hope to land scape to hide the Ugly. So far its not looking too bad.

But then I am a " REDNECK CHICKEN OWNER" !
hide.gif
big_smile.png

Micah

Hey if it is reckneck then I guess I am reckneck too
big_smile.png
Yet I am from South GA and I am a country girl. So I reckon I am proud to be a redneck chicken farmer (as my husband's side of the family calls me) But why not give a good home to your chickens rather than busting my butt building a coop pretty much for the same price except for the fact during the summer they can have ac during the summer and a heater during the winter why not??? It would be easy, homey, and I believe my chickens would be happier. Even though I am starting to think that I should get a RV instead. Story behind that is my husband is in the military and I DON'T want to sell or give away ANY of my chickens except for if they are too aggressive with my kids or if I have more than one roo of a breed and I don't like doing that either it is always a hard decision and soon I will have to make it. But regardless on where we move if that place doesn't allow chickens my dad will chicken sit for me he has neighbors with some I just hope they don't get mixed up. So I think I may start looking at rvs until my husband either retire or get out. I just prefer for my chickens to feel at home where ever we go and don't like for them to feel uncomfortable during the weather changes.

Cher

I do have 3 other pens and houses, 2 are small , one other large. But all qualify as Redneck. I'm all about the cheap or free. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I live way out in the country so it really doesn't matter.
Micah

Here are some pictures of our "redneck" coop.
We love it and like to show it off. Chicks dig it too...all 25 of them.
wink.png

Cheers,

Gypsea

63610_downsize.jpg

63610_downsize3.jpg

63610_redcedaroosts.jpg

63610_downsize4.jpg

63610_downsize2.jpg

yippiechickie.gif
OHMG I wish DH was home(he is at work)That chicken trailor ROCKS.I can't stop giggling.The inside is great.I never would have thought of that.Just imagine going doen the highway and all of a sudden you see a truck pulling a little RV with chickens in the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am loving this,PURE REDNECK,but NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.Too bad we live out in the open.We just make do with all the scraps laying around and pen setups, but the RV/trailor thing is making me THINK:ya

Back
Top Bottom