Moving a bator with eggs in it?

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I have 25 eggs in my incubator right now that are due to hatch on Monday. I'm going out of town Friday-Sunday for a conference and am worried about them hatching early. Would it kill them if I took the bator with me? I could plug it in to an adapter in the car, so the temp wouldn't be a problem. I could also wrap them in towels for the ride so they don't bump each other and break. I'm just worried about the vibrations from the car. Anyone had to deal with this or have any ideas? Thanks!

If they are in egg cartons they'd probably be ok in the car... especially plugged in.

But I wouldn't wrap them in blankets ... they need oxygen.

I really think they'll be just fine if you leave them home. Even if they hatch a day or two early, they'll be just fine in the incubator. Don't forget, chicks ship at a day old and it sometimes takes 2 days to get to their destinations.

I'm not worried about them needing food or anything for a day or two, but I am worried about nobody being able to keep an eye on humidity and temp. I have someone coming over to let the dogs out twice a day, so maybe she could just check it then.

I think its fine if you take the general precautions to protect them.
But its also probably not necessary.
You might be better off just leaving them be. That would be my choice, just in case the hatch goes bad, I wouldn't feel like it was because I moved them.
You could also end up part way through a hatch, literally chickens climbing out when you pack up to head home. That could be an issue.
Maybe, maybe not.
Also, you could have some nosy maid in the hotel room, or she could unplug the bator to stick in the vacuum plug....
Do you have anyone that can check on the eggs while you are gone if you decide to leave them home?

Have you tried to find a good neighbor to leave them with? Like babysitting only for chicks, chicksitting! HA! HA!
lol.png

I have someone coming twice a day to let the dogs out and feed them, so I guess she can check on them then and that will just have to be enough! I just don't want to miss out on my first hatch...I hope they wait until Sunday afternoon at least!

Back
Top Bottom