Moving a broody hen

Jypzee

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
Have a Buff Orpington and a Barnavelder who have both decided to go broody. We would like to be able to move them out of the Main coop to a smaller uninhabited coop. Have tried to move them twice and they refused to get on their nests. We have some eggs in the incubator that we would love to be able to move under them, but we really need to get them moved first.

As soon as we move them back to the main coop they immediately return to the nests they were in.

Suggestions appreciated.

I have had no luck moving a broody. Some have been successful moving them at night, and I have read some lock them in a crate.

I have moved broodies successfully, and I have had one completely flip out and destroy all her eggs (I had moved her at night). That one never went broody again. I have started leaving mine with the flock. I mark their eggs and check daily to remove any extras. There is, of course, more of a chance that eggs will get broken by other hens.

I know it doesn't help right now but as CTKen stated the best for the future is use crates or in my case I have a stand that holds 5 gallon buckets. When I want to move a broody hen I just place a lid on the bucket and carry her to my brood house. Take the lid off once I have her situated and she's good to go. I haven't had an issue since I started doing this. I always had problems trying to relocate momma to a new nest.

we moved our broody Orpington at night. When they had settled down for the night, we put a towel over her head to make it dark and more calming for her; it was a two man job but we got it done and she was happily still sitting in the morning. Good luck this is just my experience. Greetings from England xx

I've successfully moved a broody Orpington. She was sitting in an elevated box. When I moved her some of the eggs had already externally pipped. I grabbed her and my husband grabbed the eggs. We relocated her to the duck house successfully. It could have been a success because they were already hatching.

I've successfully moved a broody Orpington. She was sitting in an elevated box. When I moved her some of the eggs had already externally pipped. I grabbed her and my husband grabbed the eggs. We relocated her to the duck house successfully. It could have been a success because they were already hatching.
I have moved already hatching hens successfully from the nestboxes to the floor, but I have never convinced one to move at the beginning.

I also have moved broody hens to a separate nest box. I found out that is easier to move once the biddies start hatching as the hens will not leave the babies or eggs. I have left hens hatch the eggs in the main coop but if a baby leaves the nest, he will disappear. I have seen other hens kill them and eat them.

Thanks all for the responses. We've decided to quit fighting with the broodies.

We have the eggs going in the incubator. I'm wondering if we might be successful with moving the hens and eggs together when they begin to pip so that we can let them raise the chicks instead of having to brood them inside?

Back
Top Bottom