moving a broody hen

fishman65

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
flat rock
need some advise, I have a broody hen sitting on a clutch of eggs in a flower bed on my front porch. twice this week she has been attacked by a feral cat that i have been trying to catch for over a month now. i want to move the nest to a spare coop that i have but i don't know if she will still sit on the nest if i move her. she has been sitting 24-7 and has not slacked off one bit.
will she still sit on her eggs if I move her??? what do you think. thanks.

I don't know how Guneas react to being moved, but I have had good success moving broody hens. I just have to "lock" them on the nest for three days. I screen over the front of the nest box for three days so they stay there. Seems to be long enough that they get used to it. Two days didn't cut it. They got off and paced the wire, looking to get back to the old nest. I think I'd give it a try. Beats losing her to a cat.
hmm.png

Good luck. Guinea hens are nasty little creatures when they get to the "im not moving off the nest stage". I had one hiss at me. They are also fast!

www.guineafowl.com has some ideas on moving a broody hen, I wish you luck.

Can you put a cage or somthing around her to protect her from the cat while she sets?

First IMPORTANT wear a long sleeved thick shirt, and safety glasses, before trying to move a broody guinea.

Second to get them to set on the relocated pile if very difficult.

I had to move one of our hens as she chose to set on the chicken eggs instead of the guinea egg pile. She was kind enough to let me put her hand under her to collect the eggs but the hissing and mock Cobra strike with her beek did scare me a WHOLE LOT. She managed to grab hold old my arm a couple of times luckily she only got my sweater. I then tried moving her to the guinea egg pile... to make a long story short ... I ended up moving all the guinea eggs to where she wanted to set as I simply gave up.

wow!! Does not sound like fun. I will have to get some help and think this thing through. Thanks for the advise. I have another hen on eggs and she hisses every time i get near her.
Moving a hen might not be such a wise thing to do. Or healthy. For ME.

UPDATE! Last night i had dinner at red lobster and had enough food to bring home a doggie bag of shrimp & lobster. Well the shrimp and lobster was too much for mister feral cat to resist and he let his guard down enough to get caught in my trap. Problem solved. everyone will sleep a little easier tonight. thanks for the advise.
big_smile.png

HAPPY UPDATE!!! momma guinea now has 12 happy keets with her and more trying to pip out.
She is very happy and quite "aggressive"!!! It will be a lot of fun getting those cute little guys and dolls away from her.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom