Moving a broody jenny

Ardizzone7

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Redkey, IN
I have a jenny who is broody and sitting on eggs. She is in a small dog house that I have surrounded with hay bales to keep her insulated. We live in north central Indiana. I am not concerned about her but the poults when they hatch. I know they can not get a draft or chilled when young. I would like to let her raise them so my other option is to insulate a small coop we are not using and move her there so when they do hatch they are protected from the wind. Would this be my best bet or should I leave it up to her? I am torn about moving her for fear she won't set on them after I move her. She has been sitting for 5 days.

Sounds good. There are only 3 eggs so she shouldn't have trouble keeping them warm. I just worry about if she tries to take them out of the dog house to walk the yard. It will be almost Valentines day and the coldest month of the year. I will keep an eye out on hatch day. Also should I move them at night to the new coop once hatched?

Today is hatch day!!!! She has been a diligent mamma. I have blocked the door with a bale of straw. Should I wait until Wed before I move it to be sure they have all hatched? There are only 3 eggs. I have 9 chicks that hatched in the incubator yesterday to put under her as well once they move to the heated coop. :D. I figure she can handle keeping them all warm and fed.

3 out of 3 hatched!!!!!!!! We had to move them to the basement because we couldn't get the electricity in the coop to work. Here is a pic of mamma with a baby. The others are under her.

Back
Top Bottom