Moving a chicken coop

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
Hi, I need some advice regarding moving a chicken coop about 200 feet. It is a smallish coop, 3 x 4, but weighs about 500 lbs. I am going to have it delivered on a trailer, but after that, it still needs to move 200 feet. It isn't really an option to drive back there since it is a yard. How do people move coops to their locations? I was thinking of sliding it on boards but 200 feet is a long distance!

I'd say put it on 2 4x4 skids and get 2-3 round fence posts and slid it. OR on the flat moving dollys from HF they are cheap and don't hurt to have around If it's that heavy maybe use a come along and chains to pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty heavy for a 3' x 4' coop.

My Woods house was made to be moved. It is 8' x 12'. It was built on skids or runners made from 4' x 6' treated timbers. Note the wires placed in front to hook to. I used a small tractor to move it, but on dry ground it slid easy. Didn't even skuf the grass.

You could do the same thing with 2' x 4' lumber laid flat on the ground. It should slide easy.

Here is a pic of the coop if it helps:

It is already on skids but I dont want to have it chew up the grass by sliding it. I like the PVC idea and the moving dolly idea. I guess my biggest concern is ripping up the grass.

Maybe try and slide a couple of 2x4s under those legs...long ways. 2 or 3 lengths of pvc and you'll be able to push or pull it yourself I'd bet. Ive moved a few heavy sheds much bigger than that the same way. It will work.

We have our coop on wheels and we move it every 3 to 4 days to keep the grass looking good. We also have a run that is on wheels too that we move with a tractor. It takes us about 10 minutes to move them both and reconnect them. It has been very easy and the grass looks great.

Wheels are going to be a bit too expensive and labor involved for a one time move....

Back
Top Bottom