moving a chicken

moearle

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
We recently moved to Va. from Fla., but it is too cold here,so we are going back-anyway the previous owners of this property left behind a donkey,chicken, and 2 goats-so we are trying our best to learn to take care of them- anyway-my question- any suggestions on moving this chicken south, so that it is not so stressful for her-we are going to be moving the donkey and goats also- I don't know what kind of chicken she is, she is black and white, she makes a lot of noise like she is stressed and recently has been laying eggs. When we first moved in, she would just stay in a dark corner of the donkeys stall, she seemed not to have any energy-her ?nails looked overgrown, she was pitiful, I started bringing her in cracked corn,poultry feed,oyster shell, and fresh water, soon she became more active and now she runs freely, loves apples and comes closer to me, runs in my direction when she sees me going to the barn, but will not come closer than 2 feet-her feet look what I think normal should be now, and her feathers are looking nice and full- I hope I am doing the right thing for her. any suggestions appreciated-thanks in advance moearle

Just 2 things moearle . Clip her nails, being carefull about the "quick". Get her a friend. She won`t like it initially and there will be a struggle for "pecking order", but she`ll get to rely on her friend for company.

I recently moved six chickens and 7 geese to GA. My only suggestion is make the trip as quickly as you can and give the animals plenty of water. Feed is not as important in transit, but lots of water. Good luck.......

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

It sounds like you are doing many good things for your "orphan hen".
hugs.gif

Getting a friend for her would be a good thing!!

Good Luck!!

Cindy

welcome-byc.gif
You could put her in a pet carrier. Maybe put some treats in it and leave to door open and let her go in and out for awhile. Once she gets used to it when it's time to move and once she's in close the door. You might want to clip one of her wings.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
thanks for your replys- I have dog carriers, I am sure would work- would straw in the bottom of it, be wise? Also as far as a friend, should I get a chick, or an older chicken, hen...etc? I know if I got a rooster I would probably have a lot of chicks,-stupid question-does the rooster have to be the same breed-or would we be creating a type of mutt chicken? (I know nothing about chickens-but have clipped my budgies nails,dog nails, and the suggestion of clipping her wing-is probably good-she does fly around the farm here)
thanks again for your suggestions.

No, not a rooster. You'd want to get her a female chicken friend (roosters need to have several hens to mate with, otherwise the hens can get hurt from being over-mated.)

Agewise, I'm guessing an adult bird would be best. Remember that birds can carry diseases. Many people quarantine a new bird for up to a month before adding it to their flock, but I don't know if this will be practical for you. Consider checking craigslist for free/inexpensive birds.

If you're not too attached, is there anyone there locally who keeps chickens, that you might give her to when you move?

You are doing a good job, thank you for taking care of this chicken!

And welcome to BYC!

I have good news, first I want to thank-you for all the good suggestions, and I want to continue on this forum to learn more- but I have found a home for my chicken, donkey and two goats. A local farmer-who is leasing another part of our property, who raises goats, is going to take them. Actually his wife really wants them, and assured me, they will be raised as pets, not for market- her son who is seven, has already bonded with my two goats and donkey-so I feel good about this. Their Vet has checked them out, and all is good. For now, until we sell, they can stay in their own barn, and this farmer is making arrangements on their own property, so they will be ready to move all the animals to their place. It is actually a much bigger farm than ours, but ours already has two barns-that can house the animals. I think it would have been stressful for them to move so far and to a very different climate- but they have got me hooked. I got a book on chicken coops,raising chickens and backyard barns-I think they have done as much for me, as I have tried to do for them. thanks again Mo

That is a great solution!
thumbsup.gif

Much less stress on everyone and it's given you the experience to go out and do it when you settle elsewhere.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom