Moving a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Patti in TX, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Patti in TX

Patti in TX Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    Longview, TX
    We need to relocate our coop closer to the house (about 1/4 mile of gravel road). Should the chicken go for the ride as well or should we take them out and cage them for transport?
    Thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You are likely to get answers on both sides of the fence. However, if it were me and I had the crates and ability to house them somewhere else during the move I would. I've done it both ways before - leaving them in the coop, putting them in crates. If your birds free range be sure and keep them locked up for a few day, preferably a week, before turning them out again. They need to learn where their home is all over again.

[​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If it were me and there aren't 100 of them, I'd cage them. That could be a lot of jostling. Are you using a forklift or something else?

If you free range, I'd put a temporary pen around the coop entrance a couple days till they orient themselves to the new location.

I've heard of people moving coops with free range chickens and at night they'd go back and sleep on the ground where the coop was originally located.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by