Moving a female pheasant a pen over?

chris453

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
Hi, I tried looking this up but couldn't find anything so I apologize if there are threads like this.

I'm just starting to get into birds and I have a few pheasants and I reached a dilemma. I had a pair of red golden pheasants and the female unfortunately passed away due to predator and the male was left all alone in his pen, I've tried to find another female online but wasn't able to in my area. In the pen right beside him, I have yellow golden pheasants (1 male, 3 females) and one of the females is a mix of red and yellow golden pheasant. I was wondering if I could move her to the other pen with him or should I look to re-home him?

We bought the yellow goldens in April and the four of them were housed together before. They are able to see into the other pens, so would it cause a problem or stress to move her right beside where she can see her old roommates? or should I move both the female and male to a new pen further down away from the other yellow goldens?

How bonded is the group of yellow goldens? Perhaps try introducing a female and pay close attention to their interaction.
I'm not sure on their exact age or if they were raised together but I bought them off of someone who didn't want to keep their birds anymore, all 4 goldens were already housed together when I bought them

I have found that I have better results when moving birds if I move them in the dark of night and to a pen that is 'new' to the bunch I'm moving, regardless of age. That way they are all on the same footing, so to speak...but even then it can be a toss up!
Some birds just don't get along well together, always have an alternate pen to move any that are getting excessive harrassment.
Moving another male into a pen with an established hierarchy will result in a blood bath. Even hens will fight with eachother or another male.
It's really a 'trial an error' situation.
HTH

I think you would be better off moving the yellow Golden's into the red golden pen and put the red hen in the old yellow golden pen and then add the male.This way everyone is in a new pen to them.Or you could just build more pens for other breeds.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom