Moving a large heavy coop

May 3, 2019
I built a 8x8 coop that’s also 8 feet tall and very heavy. I have a 8x16 run attached to the coop and the coop floor is 20 inches above ground level. When it rains my New Hampshire Reds are virtually swimming in their run where water pools inside the run.

I have come to the conclusion I need to move the coop to higher ground so water will run off naturally versus collect in the run. I need some advice on putting this coop on retractable wheels so I can move this beast of a coop i built. I can detach the run from the coop and move them separately fairly easily. The weight is in the coop and probably weighs 300 pounds.

If anyone can recommend some retractable tire system or means of moving this coop I would appreciate it and my birds would as well. One big problem I have is a very high water table combined with carolina expansive clay soil.

Jack up one side and slide 10' wooden posts under it. Repeat on opposite side. Drag it forward as far as you can before it falls off posts. Place another post in the front, drag it forward.. rinse, repeat... Painfully slow unless you have some good helpers.

Can u get a truck or a tractor to it?
If so add 4x4 runners underneath, and drag it. My 6x8 coop probably weights in well over 700#. It pulled easily.

I built a 8x8 coop that’s also 8 feet tall and very heavy. I have a 8x16 run attached to the coop and the coop floor is 20 inches above ground level. When it rains my New Hampshire Reds are virtually swimming in their run where water pools inside the run.

I have come to the conclusion I need to move the coop to higher ground so water will run off naturally versus collect in the run. I need some advice on putting this coop on retractable wheels so I can move this beast of a coop i built. I can detach the run from the coop and move them separately fairly easily. The weight is in the coop and probably weighs 300 pounds.

If anyone can recommend some retractable tire system or means of moving this coop I would appreciate it and my birds would as well. One big problem I have is a very high water table combined with carolina expansive clay soil.

Here's a thought: Another consideration is to dig a French drain type system around the coop and run so you won't have to move it - ever.

Back
Top Bottom