Questions on getting chickens to move to a new coop

I was thinking of the rain making a huge mess. But I figures you had all that planned out.
The rain this year made it a bit of a mess which is why there is the pine pellets down right now. normally it dries right up and we dont' have issues (this run was built 2 yrs ago so had 3 summers and 2 winters with it). But this summer we had rain 13/16 weekends which is not normal for this area so the ground was wet wet wet and no where to really soak into. think I am going to take out some of it and put down some fresh stuff. I do leaves in the fall in that area, grass clippings, some wood chips etc. so drainage is normally great as long as it doesn't rain for over half a season. LOL it is a flat roof so afraid to put a tarp over it that it would just built up on it and crash in.

The good thing is it is under trees so they do protect it somewhat at least in the spring and summer, then in the fall and winter(when no snow) they get the sun there and LOVE to sunbathe in that section.

They went in on their own tonight with no light. I had planned on putting the light on but had to drop my truck off for service and thought I would be home before dusk to turn it on and wasn't. But glad to see they went in and settled on their own.

Final update. I opened the door between the runs after their bedtime last night so they all had use of both runs and coops. The ones I moved to the new coop all went back to bed in their new coop tonight on their own.

Thanks for the help and advice

Final update. I opened the door between the runs after their bedtime last night so they all had use of both runs and coops. The ones I moved to the new coop all went back to bed in their new coop tonight on their own.

Thanks for the help and advice
Thanks for updating. I'm glad to hear that it's going so well :)

Back
Top Bottom