Moving a setting hen?

Move her it'll be fine just close her in the space for a day or 2 so she doesn't go back to the other nest

I have the same problem with my polish hen. Some girls ok with moving while other, like this girl, Are not.
D.gif
(I love these things <---)

I think reading all these posts and replying, y'all have given me BAD LUCK! I just had a hen go broody TODAY! UGH!

I thought i was DONE with broody mamas for a while and now I will have to sneak under our deck tonight with a flash light to see what our little hen Suzie is hiding under her. SIGH...

Absolutely just went through this. Buffie, one year old; creepy. Anyway, this was my first broody. Asked a friend for some fertile eggs, and he supplied 5. I have 7 hens and 3 nest boxes. Fortunately, these are dish pans--right sized and washable. The preferred box is the first one. I would frequently find all of the day's eggs in that first box. Anyway, my broody wanted to be in that box, but that's not where the fertile eggs were. Needless to say, a broody hen wants eggs, and does not care if they are fertile or not. I was finally able to settle her in the number 3 spot. On her daily expeditions, other hens would see the eggs and hop in and lay. Once, found 16; at the end, there were 14 even after removing the questionable eggs. Adventure is now over. Broody and her two chicks (actually hatched 3, but the other chickens killed one) are now segregated. I would not recommend moving a broody too far away from her preferred nest. They would not necessarily sit on their eggs.

I have my first broody EE setting on eight olive egger eggs and keeping our fingers crossed for a good hatch. I see that alot of folks will buy new chicks to put under a broody if the hatch didn't go well but wonder about bio security in doing this. The rule of thumb I seem to read here on BYC is to quarantine new birds for 4-6 weeks or maybe that doesn't apply to chicks?

I have moved a broody to a less used nest successfully but...

The three times I had a broody after a couple of days the broody would abandon the nest and all the eggs would be covered with egg as if one had exploded.
idunno.gif

I'm not sure if its because of an egg eater, breaking eggs while turning, temperature [100 degrees outside the coop] or other problem.

Last edited:
I have my first broody EE setting on eight olive egger eggs and keeping our fingers crossed for a good hatch. I see that alot of folks will buy new chicks to put under a broody if the hatch didn't go well but wonder about bio security in doing this. The rule of thumb I seem to read here on BYC is to quarantine new birds for 4-6 weeks or maybe that doesn't apply to chicks?
Does not apply to incubator hatched chicks. Does apply to chicks that have been exposed to the germs/impurities of grown chickens.

Every hen in different. I have some that move like a charm and never question anything. Some simply refuse to move. All but my duck, I was finally able to move.It just takes the right tactics. Remember, they can't see in the dark. If you keep it dark long enough (before, during, and after the move) they will usually forget about it and won't give you any trouble.

Every hen in different. I have some that move like a charm and never question anything. Some simply refuse to move. All but my duck, I was finally able to move.It just takes the right tactics. Remember, they can't see in the dark. If you keep it dark long enough (before, during, and after the move) they will usually forget about it and won't give you any trouble.

That is the good (and bad) thing about chickens...they have ZZZZZEEEERRRROOOOO long term memory. :)

Back
Top Bottom