Moving a siting hen

Who all moves ther siting hens and how do you go about doing
If my lady is still sitting on a laid egg I normally, let her know I am there and gently move her on, luckily I haven't had to do this much but I do understand some chickens can become aggressive when removing there eggs! so I would say gently, gently should work! good luck :)

I wait a few days to make sure that the hen is serious about it, then during the day I set up a big dog crate, in the coop preferable, or next door, with bedding, food, and water. After dark I sneak out there with a very small flashlight and move the eggs and broody to the back of the crate, close the door, and leave. Most of the time it works well, and keeps the broody and her eggs undisturbed. Mary

After dark
Sometimes moving the hen will disturb the hen and they may stop being broody. Since they usually go broody in a place they feel safe in.

I use plastic milk crates as nesting boxes. If a hen goes broody in one I can just move the whole crate to the brooder without disturbing the hen or eggs.
wink.png

That's the one I'm gonna try, I have a bunch of milk crates too. I'll try to do it at night next time.

Back
Top Bottom