Moving across country taking chickens with me 2500 miles...

Sounds like near Corinth. I grew up in Mississippi and you are heading into hot and humid country. By the time you get here it will be in the 90's with high humidity. Your chickens will be very vulnerable to heat stroke. I live only about an hour or so away in Alabama. If you aren't careful, you will arriv with dead or dying chickens from the heat. Just be aware. Safe journey.
Ya we are in moving to Corinth exactly. I know the precautions, thanks!

Sounds like near Corinth. I grew up in Mississippi and you are heading into hot and humid country. By the time you get here it will be in the 90's with high humidity. Your chickens will be very vulnerable to heat stroke. I live only about an hour or so away in Alabama. If you aren't careful, you will arriv with dead or dying chickens from the heat. Just be aware. Safe journey.
2x I’m also in the Deep South and it has already been hot enough this year to stress my chickens in their run in the shade with fans blowing. Lost a young chick because of a extremely quick temp spike in the brooder shed if I had been gone another 15 minutes I think I would have lost most of them if not the entire group.

2x I’m also in the Deep South and it has already been hot enough this year to stress my chickens in their run in the shade with fans blowing. Lost a young chick because of a extremely quick temp spike in the brooder shed if I had been gone another 15 minutes I think I would have lost most of them if not the entire group.
Oy vey

I’m moving across country, literally. I’m taking 7 hens with me, but I’m taking my moving stuff too. The hens are all important. I have a 4x4x1 cage I'm taking for them, but their gonna be in the wind, they need to be in an enclosed ventilated secure spot. I was thinking to put cardboard on the sides of the cage, but I want some more advice on what to keep pine shavings from flying all over the place. We are leaving June 11th so I need advice sooner that later lol. Thanks for reading
Moved them 600 miles in the dead of winter from Florida to N C in one of those crappy little manufactured coops on a trailer, shot right past the ag station 😂 everyone made it great.

Spending days on the road is going to be stressful enough for them, but riding outside exposed to the elements and fumes could be detrimental. You said you love them like children. Where would you make human children ride?

We moved some years ago about a 6 hour drive. In December so not hot. Moved 10 chickens and 15 guineas. We are slightly crazy people. We rented a Uhaul trailer. Put down a tarp and straw in a 5X5 dog pen. We have 5 ft panels use for all sorts of things. Chucked the birds all in that and closed up the trailer. Got to new home and brand new chook house already set up. They slept all the way in the dark. They did just fine. They were protected from the weather. I would never ever never put them in an outside cage where the wind and rain or sun would be on them. BTW the trailer wasn't dirty; cleaned out the straw and hosed it out and dried it. No problem. Do you have an SUV where can put them in a cage in the back of the car? Putting them in a cage is not a problem if they are a comfortable temperature. Do cover it with a sheet or ?

Oh, I see you have a van. Please put them in a cage in the back of that. Please don't put them outside. Yes, they will stink but you can open windows or vents and blow in fresh air.

I do think with such a long move you ought to rehome them to a good home and start over. That is too long of a drive and they need to be fed and watered. You can't have them riding outside that long. Very bad for them.

Back
Top Bottom