Moving across country with chickens?

http://www.guineafowl.com/GeneralStore/regulations.htm

This is a tad overwhelming. I haven't got a vet locally that will even DO testing (I know, I've been looking for almost a year now, and no one wants to test).

I am really interested in hearing from folks who have done this and what their experiences were in the states they passed through. The only ones that I can think of with actual port of entry inspection is Ca, but it's been a long time since we've gone east.

Oh they can look at the birds and say they dont see anything obvious and write it out on the stationary that they can be traveled across country. You can ask for a temporary NPIP if you like. Ask any 4H or livestock vets outside of town.

Oh they can look at the birds and say they dont see anything obvious and write it out on the stationary that they can be traveled across country. You can ask for a temporary NPIP if you like. Ask any 4H or livestock vets outside of town.
That's what I'm thinking. And seriously, we don't have any vets who do chickens, even if they do farm animals. It seems crazy to me, but they just don't think they are worth it. And this is according to all the vets I've called, and I've called the county extension/4H office. They'll do horses and cows, even sheep, but no chickens.So, in a rural community (the largest for 200 miles in any direction) no one will see or attempt to treat chickens. Makes me want to pull my hair out. Boo.

It might cost less to sell the chickens and buy new ones then it will to pay the vet bills. . .

The only thing I'd worry about is heat while they are in the bed of the truck, especially when the truck is not moving and parked in the sun. My bedliner is black and it heats up. A tarp and/or parking in the shade would solve this potential problem. Giving them lots of water will also help with any heat while traveling issues.

It might cost less to sell the chickens and buy new ones then it will to pay the vet bills. . .

The only thing I'd worry about is heat while they are in the bed of the truck, especially when the truck is not moving and parked in the sun. My bedliner is black and it heats up. A tarp and/or parking in the shade would solve this potential problem. Giving them lots of water will also help with any heat while traveling issues.
I'm thinking they would be inside the back of my Expedition (seat down) mostly because of predators at night, although that could be an option, too. Hunny is not keen on driving separately and he wants to get rid of them before, but I'm trying to sort through how to just move them. The kids will be heartbroken if we have to get rid of them, even knowing we'd be getting more. So, I'm not sure. Just seems like 2,000 miles is a long way to move with 23 chickens at this point. *sigh*

Well, unfortunately it did not work out for us. We decided that it would not be practical for us to move our birds such a long distance, and deliver them to such a hot environment as Phoenix in July. We sold our birds and equipment, and purchased new once we got here. I now have 9 lovely birds, two of which are roosters. One rooster is a Jersey Giant, and I ADORE him. The other rooster is a black frizzle bantam. Then I have two araucanas, two rhode islands, one barred rock, one golden laced wyandotte and a beautiful little white chicken, soft and fluffy, not sure her exact breed. I'll have to take a pic and put her up on here for you guys to identify.

Back
Top Bottom