Moving across country with chickens?

JohnMorgali

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Soon to be Gilbert, AZ
I have 8 lovable chickens that I really adore. I am probably going to be moving across country, from Connecticut to Arizona. This raises a number of questions. Can anyone please help me with these? My coop is 4.5 x 5 and fits(barely) into the bed of my pickup truck. I had intended to keep them in there until the trip was complete. I have a pretty neat watering system set up so they will not run out of water, tip it over, or have it slosh out. I have hanging feeders so that is not a problem either. My main concerns are outlined below.

1. Am I going to be able to move my chickens across state lines for 3000 miles?

2. My chickens are all COLD weather tolerant, RI Reds, Araucanas, and a smallish fluffy fancy one with feathered feet(the wife's favorite bird, not sure the breed). Will they survive the heat in AZ?

3. Will they survive the stress of being in the bed of a truck rumbling down the highway for 12 - 14 hours per day for 3 days? I hate to lose my pets.

I'll update this post with any further questions as I can think of them. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have suggestions for you...but we moved from CA to AZ last year and adore it..all my inlaws and my better half are from CT....and they love it here too..welcome!
big_smile.png

BTW....we all handle the heat better here than where we came from. CT gets PLENTY hot, plus the humidity...depending on where you move to in AZ>..the heat really is not that bad in comparison...plenty of people here have the same breeds you do...

Quote:
Well, I grew up there in AZ. My folks are still there. That is part of why I am moving back. I have always considered AZ home and can't wait to be back. I have no problems with heat at all, it's the cold that has always bothered me.

It's good to hear that the heat does not bother these breeds. I was concerned about that. Now my biggest concern is getting them there. We figure, 5 of us and our menagerie will take us 5-6 days by car-avan. We'll be stopping to visit family we have never met or not seen in years as well, so thats why the added time.

Last edited:
Chickens are extremely hardy. More than you may think I think they'd make it. As for the breedsim in new mexico the weather here is bout the same. Trust me I have bout every chicken available haha they will be fine. Just keep them in shade and plenty of water. Welcome to the southwest.

I don't have experience moving with chickens but I have some experience with them in heat. A couple of my chickens do not like the heat and can only tolerate it moderately well, so I make sure to put ice cubes in their water and to give them plenty of room that's shaded. It gets past 100 deg F during the day in summer here in Lancaster, CA but I think it gets hotter in Arizona. My chickens stay in a run that gets plenty of fresh air but they sometimes still pant. I really don't see why they wouldn't make it through your trip, as long as they are kept watered and fed and they have dry bedding. It would be stressful on them though...

Quote:
Haha, as I recall, 100 degrees is like a warm late spring day there in the Phoenix area where I'll be. I'll have to build some shade device to provide them with extra shade aside from the coop itself.

Having made a cross country move last year I can relate. My wife, who is extremely tolerate of my chicken projects, nevertheless put her foot down on moving with the chickens. Despite my assurances and plans, she was convinced we would like the Beverly Hill Billies riding into town. So, I donated the adults birds to some friends who were excited to get into chickens for the first time. Considering they received 9 laying hens in their prime for free, I would certainly say they got a bargain (though I did the world a favor by creating 1 more chicken-raising family).

When we moved down I went out and bought new chicks within the first week. Though I hated to part with my laying hens and start all over from scratch, it was a nice opportunity to get into heritage birds for the first time.

If we can look back in the Depression era in the 30's, you would find alot of pictures of traveling families with chickens in tow in smaller cages. They were just fine and like any other animals, they travel well. With you having their coop in back of pick up truck, it would be so much better! If they can not hold on to the roosting bars, at least they can lay on the floor with room to spare and when you take a pit stop, they would appreciate it too! When you go and eat, water them and check on them and if it gets HOT, try to put down some ice packs if they all ended up on the floor, they would like that too!

With all the precautions in mind, Gatorade on hand if getting pretty hot, you are good to go! In some states if you want to take precaution which I would strongly encourage you to take the chickens to the vet for a clean bill of health that they are healthy and ready to go on a trip. Vet papers would NOT be a bad idea to have, after all horses traveling or any livestock traveling, they have to have a vet health certificate or documents that they are disease free and healthy at the time before the trip.

Dont expect the girls to lay right away. they might be "shocked" into non laying but after a month or so on the new place, they will get right back into laying.

Back
Top Bottom