Moving adult chickens to new home

4511chickens

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
Middle TN
We are getting 5 adult (2-3 years old) hens from a neighbor moving to NYC. They currently free range in a small backyard, but we will be keeping them in an 80ish square foot run most of the time. When they are transferred to the run (new coop too), we are moving them at dusk. Then, should we leave them in the run for a while so they can adjust? How long? We plan to let them out in our backyard when we are outside, but do we need to make sure they are used to the coop and run first?

I recently got 3 adult hens, approximately four years old. I left them in the run, and 2 of them figured out the new coop that night. One wanted to roost on top, so I put her in the coop and after a coup!e of days she uses the coop most of the time. I left them in the run for a couple weeks before I let them out. Every evening I would hand out treats and make kissy noises, and now they come in when I make that sound and toss treats. If your yard is fenced, that should be fine. If not, you might need to give it more time.

I recently got 3 adult hens, approximately four years old. I left them in the run, and 2 of them figured out the new coop that night. One wanted to roost on top, so I put her in the coop and after a coup!e of days she uses the coop most of the time. I left them in the run for a couple weeks before I let them out. Every evening I would hand out treats and make kissy noises, and now they come in when I make that sound and toss treats. If your yard is fenced, that should be fine. If not, you might need to give it
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom