Moving adult coturnix outside

Chicken Man Dan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Suburban Ontario
Hi everyone!

We are in Southern Ontario and spring has finally sprung! We have 6 quail inside right now living at room temperature, but we want to get them outside asap so we have more space in the quail room (my office where I should be doing work). The outside temps this week are going to be 15C (60F) in the day and 6C (43F) at night. If I put them out now, will the shock of the night temps kill them?

Thanks,

Dan

You can take them outside at this point. However take the brooder lamp outside with them and turn it on at night only for about a week. Hang it just high enough to add some heat, but not warm enough to cause them health issues. You want them to have a tiny bit of heat as they adjust to the cold night temps. After about a week, you can take the lamp away.

The hutch I have has an enclosed area and I was hoping that being out the wind and cozied up together I could avoid having to buy another heat lamp (our lamp is brooding buttons right now). The other option is moving the hutch in the unheated garage over night. Any thoughts? Thanks for the quick reply!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom