Moving and locking up peafowl for the winter?

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
Ok well I am planning on taking down my shelter I through toghther for my peacocks and I am going to build a permanant 8'x8'x8' coop with 6' high roost and some shelves for laying season. I need to move them out of their pen in order to take down the old shed. I don't want to net them because that will give them a reason to be afraid of me. I was thinking of building a temporary cage right next to their pen and I could throw some bread in it and hopefully they will go in and I can lock them in there for a day or two, any do's or don'ts for me? Also are winter's last half the year here, and I want them to be as warm as possible so I am thinking about insulating the new shed. Could I keep them locked up in that small of space for at least half the winter?

Mine were kept in a 8 x 14 ft shed all winter with no problems just have to clean it more often
wink.png

wait untill your birds roost for then night, and then after dark have somebody help you grab them. move them were they need to be moved and they will have minimal stress, and wont even know it was you who moved them! this is what i do with all birds. Good luck. try a heated roost as well, they work wonders. you can research them online. saves lots of frostbitten toes

Thank you both! I will ook into heated roost I saw a great article on Legg's peafowl that I might just have to try.

Treats are great way to lure them in. When We need to lock then In the coop during the day I would tie a piece of rope on the door handle so I could stand back and close the door without raising suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom