Moving and want to take our Muscovy ducks with us..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by grandma chicken, Jan 13, 2013.

1. grandma chicken

grandma chicken New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Tidewater area, Virginia
    Help!! We are moving in a few months and I am looking for the best way to take our 2 grown male ducks with us.Has anyone ever sedated a duck before for travel? The trip is about 8 hours and we intend to crate them but am worried about their stress level. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.We just cant leave them behind as we know they will not receive any care from the people in this neighborhood.Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Muscovynmore

Muscovynmore Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    NC
    We took our birds on a 14-hour trip once without any problems. :) I wouldn't worry too much; ducks usually settle down quickly. Just make sure they can't hurt themselves with the crate. Good luck!

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep i agree, they will likely be fine. You can certainly keep some water and feed handy for a "rest stop" if you would like.

4. grandma chicken

grandma chicken New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Tidewater area, Virginia
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.So no sedation should be needed? We also have 5 hens and I dont think they would handle the trip so we may have to find them a good home here :(

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Most anything will be fine as long as they have a comfortable container, lots of bedding. For chickens, a darker container (cardboard box would work, with ventilation holes) will help keep them calm.

The longest I've been in the car with ducks was a 2 hour drive back with 5 month old ducklings. Oh the smell. Hopefully it will be warm enough when you move that you can open a window.

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I think they'll be fine. Just give them some vitamins/electrolytes in their drinking water when you get to your destination for a few days. Can't be any more stressful than being shipped in the mail and people do that everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by